Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

A Leisurely Breakfast

"All happiness depends on a leisurely breakfast."
-John Gunther

Never have truer words been spoken. You see, I am not a morning person, and I am certainly not to be messed with before breakfast. I cannot face the day before I've had my breakfast and the better the breakfast the better my day. So it goes without saying that having the house to myself on a Saturday morning can make for one great breakfast.

My Saturday breakfast of choice typically consists of oatmeal and coffee. But it's not just any old oatmeal, it's oatmeal my way. I can be somewhat experimental with oatmeal because I feel that the possibilities are endless. Oatmeal is like the rice of breakfast- it's all about what you add to it.

Coffee, on the other hand, I tend to do one of three ways: drip, French press, or Italian coffee (I love my Italian coffee maker). Saturday are usually French press day, but today I was really hankering for some Italian coffee with whipped cream. I filled the bottom with water, put the grounds in, and set it on the stove while I prepared the oatmeal...

I generally use quick oats because I'm always famished in the morning and the quicker I can get the breakfast in my mouth, the better. I always cook the oats in nonfat organic milk- water is so Depression-era (I say this sarcastically, but seriously, no water). While I was heating the milk on the stove top, my Italian coffeemaker began to bubble over. In a bad way. Turns out I had put too much coffee grounds in the pot so that it couldn't close all of the way, so the pressure caused the liquid to seep out of the sides as opposed to being pushed up into the upper chamber. I wound up with a very small amount of thick coffee, so I had to start up my drip coffee-maker.

Meanwhile, my milk started to bubble over on the stove, so it was time to throw in the oats. This was turning out to be a very chaotic breakfast indeed. No problem though, I set the timer and turned my attention to a peach I had in the fridge- time to slice it for the oatmeal!

Once the oatmeal finished cookie, I threw the chunks of a small peach in the pot, added a spoonful of brown sugar, a dash of cinnamon and some vanilla. I always add vanilla to my oatmeal, unless I use coconut extract. I put a lid on and returned it to the flame to warm up the peaches. When it was warm enough, I poured it into my bowl and sprinkled ground flax seed on top for some extra nutrition (another ingredient I always add to oatmeal).

Next, my coffee was finished brewing so I poured what little Italian coffee I had in a mug and poured the drip-brew over top of it. I left a little room in the mug to put some real whipped cream on top. The end result, though not what I intended, was delicious.

Peach Oatmeal a la Ray-Ray
1 recipe oatmeal cooked in milk (quick or old-fashioned according to your tastes)
1 small peach, cut into small chunks
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp ground flax seeds

Once the oatmeal is prepared, throw in the peach, vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir over heat until peaches are soft. Pour oatmeal into bowl and add the flax seed. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment