Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Other Chocolate Chip Cookies

A little overcooked
I've gotten lazy. That, or I've gotten desperate. I did not make my famous chocolate chip cookies this week. I was really craving some chocolate chip cookies, preferably warm ones. So I settled for cookies I could make with the ingredients I had on hand.

For some people, one chocolate chip cookie is like any other. Not so for me. No cookie compares to my famous chocolate chip cookies. I'm not bragging here; no, instead I am just stating my preference. I have tried other cookie recipes before and was merely dissatisfied with the result.

This week I tried the Baked recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Well, okay, so I fudged it a little. That's right, you heard me, I broke my own rules and did not follow the recipe exact. The recipe in the book called for dark brown sugar, but all I had was light. The recipe called for a ton of semisweet chocolate chips, but I only had half a bag, so I also used bittersweet chocolate chips. Lastly, the recipe calls for chilling the dough in the fridge for 6 hours (say what?!), and the first batch I baked after one hour. Oh yeah, I'm a baking rebel now.

As for my first two little changes, they were no biggie. But as for the 6 hours, well I think there's something to that. The excellent thing about this recipe, however, is that you can keep the dough in the fridge for up to 5 days and bake them in small batches so you always have fresh cookies (at least for five days you will). I have been enjoying fresh cookies all weekend. I even gave up on my cookie scoops- they're broken anyway. I rolled giant balls of cookie dough using a big spoon and my hands. Worked perfectly for me!

As for how the cookies taste, the first batch was just alright. They were too greasy fresh out of the oven. But batches 2 and 3 were pretty darn good. Satisfying, I must say. Still not my famous cookies, but a worthy substitute. :)

Even cookies need love
Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Baked: New Frontiers in Baking

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 sticks unsalted butter, soft but cool
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsps vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups semisweet and bittersweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt and baking soda together and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars together until smooth and creamy using a hand mixer. Scrape down the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. The mixture ill look light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and beat for 5 seconds.

Add half of the flour mixture and mix for 15 seconds. Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until just incorporated.

Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.

Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 6 hours (just do it).

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Scoop the dough into 2-tbsp sized balls (or thereabouts). Use your hand to shape them into perfect balls and place them on the prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, rotating the pans once during the cooking time, until the edges of the cookies are golden brown and the tops just start to darken.

Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the individual cookies to the rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment