Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Tres Leches Cake

Way better than strawberry shortcake.
Oof. It's been one of those weeks. Nothing bad happened, in fact good things happened, but that didn't prevent me from feeling a little down. This happens sometimes, a little more often now that I live alone. It mainly happens when I start comparing myself to other people, which is never really a good thing for me to do. I'm just a little different, and I always have been.

Flowers from the market.
So I turn to baking, which is the one area of my life that I am really confident in. I don't often fail in the kitchen, and if that's me bragging, I think I'm allowed that much at this point. It's funny that I feel like it's my sole contribution to society. I remember in third grade making friends by sharing my fruit snacks in class. It was the only way I could get the semi-popular kids to like me. I still try to make friends using my mad skills in the kitchen, but it's a bit trickier than that now.

Strawberries!
This week I decided to get back to my baking roots by baking a cake. Cakes are what got me into baking in the first place. I chose to make a tres leches cake because I love the sweet sogginess of it, and I had never tried making one before. I found a recipe that looked pretty simple and forged ahead with my plan.

Mojito!
But with cake, I needed people to serve it to. I cannot consume an entire cake by myself, though I have been tempted in the past. So I asked my family if we could do a family dinner this weekend, and it didn't take much convincing. We decided to go with the Latin theme since I was making tres leches cake. My sister-in-law made a yummy tortilla casserole with random stuff like beans, zucchini, and cheese. My mom made her signature guacamole, my dad made mojitos, and my sister brought salad. It wasn't a big thing, but it was still nice.

The cake.
For the tres leches recipe, follow this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment