Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

You Win Some, You Lose Some and the Easy Cheesecake Ice Cream

Pie a la mode!
My belly dance class has been challenging a bit lately, to say the least. We are learning a new zill pattern (this is the little cymbal-like instrument we play on our fingers), and it is a doozy. We are learning the 2nd and 3rd taweels and they are making me crazy. I don't want to bore you with details, but to put it simply, there is a part where we are supposed to play 7 but some students play 9 so my teacher begins to think that the 9s are 7s and then when I play 7 she thinks it's 5 and that I'm doing it wrong. But I'm not!

*Huff, puff, stomp.*

I can usually keep my cool when I am frustrated. Usually. Last week I actually became so frustrated with putting the new rhythm with my dancing and my face turned so red I had to go outside to cool down. I was embarrassed that my frustration was so apparent, as I prefer to give off the air of being strong and unaffected. So much for that...

This week we worked on the 2nd taweel some more and the teacher had us each, one at a time, play the pattern and put moves to it. When I took the floor, I was very focused on playing and putting accents where appropriate. My teacher felt the need to point out that I was "gearing in" and therefore not entertaining. Only my belly dance teacher can say something that would normally be offensive and totally not offend me. I was not trying to entertain, I was trying to get it right! It was good for a laugh, but still... This is also coming from the woman who said to me a few weeks ago, "you look so beautiful I didn't recognize you!" She's such a sweet lady though, and I know better than to take offense at these things.

Do you want to know what is easy? Cheesecake ice cream. Easiest ice cream I have ever made. Tasty, too! You see, my original plan for this past weekend was to make cheesecake ice cream and a rhubarb compote to go over it. But then strawberry-rhubarb pielets happened. I still wanted cheesecake, though, and this was easy to pull off. It also pairs quite nicely with the pies, especially when they are heated up a little.

Cheesecake Ice Cream
from The Perfect Scoop

8 oz cream cheese
1 lemon
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half-and-half
2/3 cup sugar
pinch of salt

Zest the lemon directly into the bowl of a food processor. Cut the cream cheese into chunks and add all remaining ingredients to the food processor. Pulse to combine, until the mixture is smooth.

Chill the mixture in the fridge overnight and then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment