Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Vegetarian Taco Pizza

Ready to eat
 Last night I hosted a girls' bunco night at my new place. My sister, her friend, and I are trying to get a monthly thing going, and this was month two. I chose for a theme Valentine's Fiesta. I'm not entirely sure why, I guess I just wanted Mexican food. I decided fairly early on that I wanted to try my hand at making a vegetarian taco pizza. I am a vegetarian, and I love tacos and pizza. What better way to combine two awesome things?!

Fresh out of the oven
I looked online for a recipe, but didn't really find anything. So I decided to wing it. Turns out, winging it can bring pretty awesome results. My plan involved Trader Joe's pizza crust, refried beans, fake taco meat, salsa, cheese, sour cream, avocado, olives, green onions, and red pepper. And whatever else I could think of. Sadly, I ended up with no green anything on my pizza. You see, I couldn't find green onions at Trader Joe's, and the avocado I bought turned out to be bad. But my pizza was awesome anyway.

Vegetarian Taco Pizza
created by me

1 prepared pkg of pizza dough (I use Trader Joe's)
1 pkg fake seasoned taco meat
1 can refried beans
1/4-1/2 cup salsa
1 pkg shredded Mexican cheese
1/2 red pepper
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1/4 cup sour cream

Cook the taco meat according to the directions on the box. Heat the refried beans in a small saucepan. Prepare the pizza dough according to the package directions.

Ready for the oven
When the dough is ready, roll/stretch it out and put it on a lightly greased baking sheet. It should spread all the way out to the edges. Next, spread the salsa over the crust, making it as thin or as thick as you like. Then, spread all of the refried beans over the top of the pizza. Next, spoon all of the taco meat over the beans. Then, sprinkle as much or as little cheese as you like over the whole pizza (I like lots of cheese), and then sprinkle the diced red peppers and sliced olives over the top. Sprinkle with a little more cheese.

My pizza cooked in a preheated oven at 450 degrees F. It took longer than the directions on the pizza dough package- a total of about 20 minutes, maybe a few more. The crust should be brown on the under side. Take the pizza out of the oven and serve straight from the pan, or transfer to a cutting board and serve from there. Before slicing, pour the sour cream in a baggie and cut a hole in one corner. Squeeze the sour cream evenly over the top of the pizza to your liking. Slice and serve.

On the plate, with love
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment